So you want to eat more plants but you don’t have enough time, don’t know what to cook, don’t know where to start? What you need is a strategy! Let’s talk plant forward eating
In today’s episode, I share my signature framework for Plant Forward Nutrition that is sure to help you make a smooth and happy transition to eating more plants.
- What is the 4Ps of the Plant Forward Plate Model?
- Why was it created to for plant forward eating?
- What are the four Ps and how can you apply them to your wellness journey?
- Call to Action: Download your free copy of Plant Forward Meal Prep Made Easy
Table of Contents
What is the 4Ps of the Plant Forward Plate Model? Why was it created?
The 4Ps of the Plant Forward Plate is a visual model to describe my principles of plant-forward nutrition and plant forward eating.
It is meant to be used as a guide to show consumers how to apply plant forward nutrition principles to their overall nutrition plan.
The 4Ps of the Plant Forward Plate combines evidence-based nutrition with practice-based evidence gathered from working with clients transitioning to a variety of plant-based diets.
The 4Ps of the Plant Forward Plate is also a resource for registered dietitians working with clients interested in transitioning to a plant-based diet.
My nutrition coaching program, the Plant Forward Playbook, is based on this model.
What are the four Ps and how can you apply them to your wellness journey?
- PREPARE your kitchen for meal planning and cooking
- PLANT the seed of nutrition knowledge
- PAUSE and REFLECT on your progress
- PARTICIPATION not PERFECTION helps the planet
Now, let’s look deeper into each P. I’ll share some examples of what this looks like in practice.
PREPARE your kitchen for meal planning and cooking
- Build your plant-based pantry
- Learn more about meal planning and preparation
- Explore fundamentals of plant-based cooking
- Communicate with family
PLANT the seed of nutrition knowledge
- Learning about the nutrition benefits of eating more plants
- How to build meals balanced with protein, fat, fiber and hydration
- Working with dietitian to address individualized goals and concerns
- Recognize hunger/fullness cues
- Introduction to intuitive eating principles
PAUSE and REFLECT on your progress
- Food and Mood Journal
- Monitor physical symptoms
- Reflect on enjoyment of new foods
- Could include additional wellness metrics like sleep, exercise and hydration
- Remember your why
PARTICIPATION not PERFECTION helps the planet
- Learn ways to minimize food waste
- Understand how and why plant based foods may have environmental benefits
- Familiarize yourself with health halo and greenwashing marketing
- Explore plant based foods and plant-based lifestyles from cultures different than your own
And one important thing to note: you are in the center. This means that the Ps are meant to work for you in a way that suits your goals and lifestyle.
The 4P’s are in a plate format–not just because we’re talking about food, but because it represents an iterative process that you can jump into wherever makes sense for you.
Maybe you already have a great system for meal planning but you want to learn more about nutrition.
Or maybe you already track metrics like steps and hydration, so reflecting on your meals feels like a natural starting point.
Call to action: Download my Plant Forward Meal Prep Made Easy here. This free resource will help launch your plant-forward journey.
Thanks for joining me today! Enjoy your food and I’ll speak with you next time.
Connect with Christianna
Email: [email protected]
LinkedIn | Instagram | TikTok | Facebook
Learn about the Plant-Forward Playbook Nutrition Coaching Program here.
Disclaimer: the content from this podcast is not medical nutrition therapy. It is for educational and informational purposes only. It is not a substitute or replacement for medical care. If you are seeking individualized nutrition care, contact a dietitian or physician in your area.